[DeTomaso] Vendor found for "Kopr-Shield" conduction enhancing copper paste

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Thu Oct 8 15:24:49 EDT 2009

Chuck,

A while back you lamented as follows:

some sort of copper goop that you could slather about Italian electrical
connections that would prevent corrosion and improve electrical conduction.
Obviously, if there was, then there wouldn't be The Dielectric Grease
Controversy and everyone would be using Magic Copper Goop......oh, well.

Well, here's the "magic" copper goop that I've mentioned in the past.  I've
been using this stuff for over 15 years now to improve electrical
connections and it works great!  Eastwood used to carry it but not any
longer.  I finally found that it's still available at TESSCO (see link
below).

www.tessco.com/products/headerProductSearch.do?searchType=1&searchText=43746
9&searchField=1

Don't confuse this product with dielectric grease.  Kopr-Shield works on an
entirely different principle and serves a different purpose.  Kopr-shield is
a highly conductive paste that was specifically designed by Thomas & Betts
to enhance and protect the connection of aluminum wires on the copper lugs
of electrical breaker panels, like the 200A or 400A feed into your home.  It
consists of fine particles of pure copper suspended in a messy, smelly &
gooey paste that sticks like molasses.  It's a conductivity enhancing
product that must be used only at the connector joining surfaces because any
spill over can cause an alternate path for the electrons to find.  This
makes it a bad idea for use on high voltage circuits like plug wires but
great on low voltage/high current circuits like the battery cables,
transaxle ground strap, starter cables, dashboard ground lug, firewall
electrical panel to firewall ground, heater fan connections, fuse ends and
headlight connections.  It also prevents future corrosion of the contacts by
sealing them.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505