[DeTomaso] VIN placement

Mountjoy dsmtjoy at cox.net
Thu Oct 8 13:52:02 EDT 2009

Thinking of some of my past & present cars from that time period, some did
and some did not have the VIN tags on the dash, visible through the
windshield.  They fit Dan's description until we get to the early Broncos.
Maybe it's because they were considered trucks??

65 Tiger-         no*
69 Bronco-     no**
69 Vette-        yes
71 MGB-GT- yes + door jamb
72 Pantera-     yes + door jamb
73 Bronco-     no  + door jamb**
73 Porsche-    yes

* The entire Tiger production ('64-'67) had one location for the VIN plate,
attached to the cowl, underneath the hood.

**All early Broncos ('66-'77) had the primary VIN plate attached to the
glove box door.  Don't know when they adopted the door jamb application.
The frames were also VIN-stamped on top of the right main rail (visible),
outboard from the starter and on the top of the rear cross member (not
visible w/o removing the body).

Perhaps others on the list can further pin point when the VIN visible
through the windshield became a federal requirement.

Darrell