[DeTomaso] distributor & coil recommendations

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 21:09:54 EDT 2009

I have an MSD 6 AL the MSD small diameter distributor (with no vacuum
advance) and an MSD blaster coil ( the cheap one) after less then a year the
coil shorted out and the spark started arcing from the coil distributor wire
to the positive terminal . I replaced it with another blaster. MSD makes a
set up were you can basically  have two MSD 6AL's , two coils, and a switch
so if one MSD 6al craps out during a race you just flip the switch and your
good to go ( switching from the bad MSD 6al to the good one) They have a
reputation for going out suddenly without warning. If that happens in the
middle of a trip you are SOL. I have most of the parts to set up the dual
6al /dual coil setup but I think I need a different model MSD distributor to
hook it up. I do keep the spare 6AL and spare coil in the car just in case.
Boyd