[DeTomaso] distributor & coil recommendations

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 18:44:16 EDT 2009

     As a few of you know, I picked up a much more completed project than I had.  One of the things that looks a little weak is the ignition.  It has a very shabby looking Mallory Uni-lite and that's about all.  I have an MSD 6ALN capacitive bla bla bla ignition and wondered what the experience has been with the MSD distributors are coils?

    Is something like the PN 8207 "BLASTER" coil ($30 street price) any better than the traditional coils?  Is the PN 8285 "BLASTER" coil ($120, ouch) more reliable?

    I assume for the street and weekend trips I want a vacuum advance, is the MSD 8477 billet dist a good choice, (small cap and vacuum advance)?

    Does a vacuum advance really add much mileage cruising at 70???

    The engine is "suppose to be" nearly new, well built, has solid lifters, head studs, roller rockers, 750 Holley, big pan etc. A previous owner from 11 years (but only 1,000 miles ago) said it dyno'd over 400 HP and he seems credible (he owned and raced the Woodhouse Pantera and sold it to the Adlers about 4 years ago).

    I want to have a reliable car I can mostly just enjoy, and spend my garage time on the rather sad 72 I've had for too long.

Ken