[DeTomaso] 427 Pantera follow up

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 14:24:21 EDT 2009

.... only three were built is wrong. Besides Dennis' CO conversions, there
were at least a few others- for instance Don Welch and his buddy (now
deceased) did one in So-Cal in the early '80s. His buddy told him, 'its easy. Only
three little things need to be changed....' leading me to believe that it
had been done before in So-Cal. Don said that after 10 months of work, the
last of the '3 little things' were completed on his car- 'and he's not my
buddy any more!'
Don's car was the first 'Targa' Pantera ever built- a decade before Gary
Hall's Purple Passion, and upon Don dumping the clutch the first time, engine
torque twisted the monococque enough that both doors popped open. So lots of
extra time and effort went into stiffening up the underfloor area after the
fact. Trail-blazing is never easy. That 427-targa '73 is now in Hawaii.
FWIW- J Deryke