[DeTomaso] The Fake Pantera Lives????

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 11:31:40 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/7/09 7 53 50, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I don't know if the Detomaso tag displayed is an aftermarket copy or an
> original taken from another car but in either case you can clearly see
> were
> the vin number location has been cut out.
>
>>>Boyd, Boyd, Boyd....

The VIN was stamped on a tag, which was affixed to the top of the dash.
It was also stamped on a tag which was affixed to the inside doorjamb.
Finally, it was stamped into the body on top of the brake booster.   A
sheetmetal surround, which had the recommended oil, brake fluid, and antifreeze was
laid over the stamped VIN, with a 'window' in it which allowed the stamped
VIN to be seen.

That's all that this is--that sheetmetal surround.   Nobody is trying to
fake a Pantera VIN--there is no VIN visible in the opening.   It's just a
thing, that's all--and it's not even put in the right location.   There is also
a blank (black) Vignale VIN tag under the 'assigned identification' tag,
with nothing stamped on it--again, no attempt to foist this off as a genuine De
Tomaso.

>  Putting a Detomaso tag on a car
> that was not manufactured by Detomaso is deceptive.
>
>>>Oh please--nobody is trying to pretend that this is a real Pantera--the
ad purports that it's a kit car.   And anybody who convinced himself that it
was a real De Tomaso, deserves what he gets!

> The state Police auto
> theft squad officer that i spoke to and who investigated this car said
> that
> the BLUE tag this car displays is a RECOVERED theft issued by the State of
> California NOT a KIT CAR vin assignment.
>
>>>Could be?   And what if it was?

> I corresponded with the original
> seller and there is no question in my mind that he was trying to pull a
> fast
> one .
>
>>>Wasn't the original seller in California?   Isn't this current seller in
Arizona?   Do you believe that this guy, is that guy?   Or was the original
seller succesful in selling this turd to a guy in Arizona, who is now
trying to get out from under it?

> One of the list members who was familiar with Long and Newman said
> this wasn't even a authentic Long and Newman replica.
>
>>>Now THAT is true.   This is pure kit-car junk, not L&N which was
actually a quality piece.   This thing looks like a 3/4 scale Pantera, perhaps on a
Fiero floorpan?

> If you have a Cobra
> kit car or a Ferrari kit car they do not display Ford or AC or Ferrari vin
> tags .
>
>>>Mine do.   And most of them that I've seen do too.   They don't display
original NUMBERS, that would be deceptive.   But it's common practice to
stamp the correct, authentic VIN of the vehicle, on a reproduction of an
original tag.   I don't know why the owner of this car chose not to do so.