[DeTomaso] The Fake Pantera Lives????

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 00:25:40 EDT 2009

Boyd,

The tag does NOT say REassigned - it says assigned.

I am very sure this is the style tag used on a California kit car
registration.  A vehicle that does not have a manufacturer's VIN tag
still needs a VIN for registration purposes.

That "assigned identification number" tag serves for that purpose. It
is riveted, not screwed, to the chassis in a highly visible location
and thus is intended to become a permanent identification number.

As for the reproduction De Tomaso tags, these can be bought from all
the vendors.  And if one was building a copy of a Pantera - as in this
car - such a tag seems logical to use.

As there are no De Tomaso style VIN numbers on this car, the official
California kit car VIN plate is still attached and the seller says it
is L/N car, I see no intent for deception in the selling of this car.

Larry