[DeTomaso] 1972 gumball detomaso pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 20:05:35 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/6/09 11 24 7, LEVITT1946 at aol.com writes:

> Now that my engine is out of the car it would be good to update the
> alternator .
>
> If I boost the alternator power to 150 amps i have been told that it will
> burn out the ammeter and i should  install a voltmeter instead .Are there
> other precautions to take when upgrading the alternator ?
>
>>>Bigger isn't always better.   There is an optimimum level (about 100
amps), and anything beyond that simply generates more power than you need and
overwhelms the wiring system, without giving the slightest additional
benefit.   If you're into simplicity, a good one-wire alternator with integral
voltage regulater is a simple thing to install.   Arguably a 'better' solution
is a modern three-wire alternator w/internal regulator.   Either will allow
you to keep your stock ammeter; there is nothing wrong with a stock ammeter
as long as the connections are properly tightened.

> My original hall headers had been wrapped on the passenger side I think
> dissipate  the heat .
>
>>>Not to dissipate it.   To *contain* it.

> After unwrapping the header last night huge amount of
> rusted metal came out . The headers did not rust thru but I noticed that
> the  pipes warped from the heat .
>
>>>Every bit of rust that came out USED to be part of your headers.
Wrapping headers is a spectacularly bad idea on a Pantera.   It's something
round-round racers do to control underhood temperatures; their headers are cheap
as chips and they routinely just throw them away.   Pantera headers, on the
other hand, are expensive, and should be preserved.   Wrapping them
radically accelerates their deterioration, as you have found out. :<(

> This is why I think it best to purchase a
> new  ceramic coated set of headers but I want to make sure that what I buy
> will bolt  directly to the original ansa exhaust.
> Has anyone purchased the Big Throat Headers? If so ...will the  car
> exhaust
> be louder and will I see any extra power.
>
>>>Are you talking about PI's Big Throat headers, or Hall's Big Bore
headers (which is what you currently have).   The former won't bolt up to your
stock Pre-L tailpipes, the latter will--with the bonus that the Hall headers
are pretty cheap and work reasonably well (the tailpipes/mufflers are the
source of great restriction).

Having said that, if you are contemplating the fitment of larger Euro GTS
tailpipes, the Hall headers won't fit those while the PI headers will.

Given that you already had headers, the fitment of new, different headers
won't impact the sound in any measurable way.   Chances are your car is
rather quiet by Pantera standards since it's fitted with stock
tailpipes/mufflers.