[DeTomaso] 1972 gumball detomaso pantera

Tomas Gunnarsson guson at home.se
Tue Oct 6 16:13:21 EDT 2009

Robert,

The stronger alternator will not make the battery accept more current. All alternators big and small regulate to a fixed output voltage, this is what determines charging current and thus ammeter currrent. What you need to check is that the high current alternator is not sacrificing low rpm performance to gain high rpm capacity. I've seen high current alternator data sheets that showed lower output than a standard alternator would produce at low rpm. I personally only need more current than a stock alternator produces when I'm at at idle with fans and AC on, on the highway the stock alternator produces all the current that I need.

Tomas