[DeTomaso] 1972 gumball detomaso pantera

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 15:02:24 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/6/09 11:24:05 AM, LEVITT1946 at aol.com writes:

> Now that my engine is out of the car it would be good to update
> the alternator . If I boost the alternator power to 150 amps i have been told that
> it will burn out the ammeter and i should  install a voltmeter instead .Are
> there other precautions to take when upgrading the alternator ?

Three things: first, installing a shunt on the stock ammeter allows some or
most of the charging current to bypass the meter. This saves your wiring
from melting and CATCHING ON FIRE! A shunt is simply a short, large wire or a
flat copper/brass plate bolted directly across the ammeter terminals. In
proportion to the surface area of the shunt vs. the charge wire, the meter
reading and the charge going thru it is reduced. Many Pantera owners do this
even with a stock alternator to reduce amp-gauge flickering, figuring the meter
reading is inaccurate anyway.
Second, by nearly tripling the alternator output from stock, you'll need
MUCH larger charge wires all the way to the battery! In fact, unless you're
using the car's alternator to drive an electric welder or a ham broadcasting
station, I can't think of a circumstance where you'll need   a full 150 amps
at 12V.
Third, you may need a dual-sheave pulley to actually turn the big alt under
full charge; one source says that every 25 amps of alt power pulls 1
horsepower from the crankshaft; the stock drive pulley and belt (if tight) was
good for around 75 amps, NOT continuous. There may be mechanical fitting prob
lems to the stock bracket since this size alt may not physically fit in the
same area. It will likely weigh more than a stocker (11 lbs) too.
More alt power over the stock 61 amps is fine, but maybe 150 amps is
pushing the idea too far?   I now use a modern 75-amp internally-regulated
alternator, with the stock wire sizes. Contemporary Ford Police cruisers often used
a 105-amp alternator (nearly the same physical size as a stocker) for their
radios, flashing lights etc. Good luck- J Deryke