[DeTomaso] Short Tail Light Studs & Screws???

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 13:34:13 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/5/09 10:07:08 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> The studs just barely reach through the body,  they seem pretty tight in
> the plastic, can I screw then out and put in longer studs without risking
> cracking the plastic they screw into?
>
> 2)  The screws that attach the lens to the back piece just barely engage
> the back piece, they look like number 6 one inch screws.  It that what I'm
> stuck with?

1)- I'm not sure whether the back studs are cast in place or threaded. If
they're cast, rotating them at all in the housings will do no good at
removing them and will certainly prevent the nuts being tightened again, if you
fail to remove them. If in fact they really are too short, I'd whack the engine
side of the steel housing in to gain a few more threads. Note that too many
threads sticking out may interfere with the tub placement.

2)- Those are italian-made assemblies so are metric screws. Its possible to
re-tap to SAE if necessary, and some SAE and metric can be forced together
without rethreading. Good luck, Ken- J Deryke