[DeTomaso] lower pantera shafts

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 16:20:02 EDT 2009

I am glad to hear it worked out well for you. I am preparing to disassemble
my rear carriers to install my new rear brakes and l cv joints . For anyone
out there that is having a problem with fused parts and is considering using
penetrating oil in an attempt to loosen things up you may remember the post
a few months ago that compared various brands of penetrating oil type
products ( WD-40, Liquid wrench Etc.) they had a list of various commercial
products and one home made mixture of 50% acetone and 50% ATF fluid. In the
test reports published in the post the acetone / ATF Fluid mix was Superior
by a huge margin. They measured the difference in a controlled experiment
and the amount of torque necessary to free the test subject using the
acetone /atf was so substantial I found the results  hard to believe. Well
last week I was unable to get one of the bolts holding my rear caliper off
.It wouldn't budge. I had tried wd-40 and liquid wrench with no apparent
effect I tried both a huge 1/2" ratchet drive and a 1/2" pneumatic impact
wrench to no avail.. I went to a beauty supply store and purchased a small
bottle of acetone ( nail polish remover) and a can of ATF fluid  and applied
some to the frozen bolt. The next morning I attempted to remove the
troublesome bolt and it came off so easily that at first I thought I had
sheared the bolt head. So this was not a scientific test but it certainly
seemed to work as well as stated in the article. So if anyone is faced with
this type of problem ( referring to frozen nuts and bolts) I can't speak for
the A arm  /shaft issue but if you think a penetrating oil type approach
might work then I strongly recommend trying this home brew.
Boyd