[DeTomaso] crossmember

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 3 13:40:42 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/3/09 5:25:34 AM, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> I noticed that the rear crossmember is already at the front most lower
> arm mount bolts, and it is welded in like it came that way from factory. Does
> this mean I don't need to relocate? Is it different that later cars?

THats the stock location, and the nuts for the lower a-arm clevises are
what hold in your removeable crossmember. The crossmember doesn't get
relocated, only cut loose and flanges added so the big nuts hold it in place. Late
cars have a crossmember in the exact same place but its removeable from the
factory. And you must also cut the e-brake bracket loose ahead of the
crossmember and add a flange (most guys use a piece of angle-iron, then drill holes
for large self-tapping metal screws). When a pan comes off, it drops down,
then moves forward some 6" around the front-mounted oil pump, so the stock
e-brake bracket is in the way. Again, in later cars this bracket is bolted on,
not welded. Cheers- J Deryke