[DeTomaso] lower pantera shafts

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 04:52:26 EDT 2009

I had a similar problem on my car, and there are others on the List who have
suffered the same. I understand that it is a fairly common occurance, and
bears looking at on all cars.

Mike Drew is mostly right in what he writes, but based on my experience is
wildly optimistic that a hacksaw will do anything besides p*ss you off. At
least that's all it did in my case ;)  I replaced the shafts while mounted
on my car, but I went through numerous blades, numerous die grinding disks,
and an extensive library of profanity before getting mine apart.

They are correct in that you need to cut it apart. One thing not mentioned -
you need to leave a little gap while cutting between the upright since it
has two nipples that are an integral part of the upright that keep the
thrust washer from rotating. Cut too close to the upright and you'll cut off
these nipples

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"