[DeTomaso] Steel distributor gears for 351C

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 3 03:21:04 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/2/09 3:07:15 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> What's the difference between Windsor and Cleveland cam/dist gears?  I
> assume there are lots of gears compatible with the Windsor, so is there a
> reason why a cam can't be made for a Cleveland that has a gear compatible with
> a Windsor dist gear?

The Windsor distributor gear is 0.170" SMALLER in O.D than a Cleveland
gear, with the same number of teeth etc. So it fits, but only the very tip of
the teeth touch the cam gear. Under load, the teeth fail, destroying both the
distributor gear and cam gear- which is integral so the cam is ruined. For a
graphic on this, see your Dec '08 POCA Newsletter; I cut away the front cam
boss in a junk block and dropped both a Cleveland and a Windsor distributor
in place.   The photos clearly show the problem.FWIW- J Deryke