[DeTomaso] lower pantera shafts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 20:40:20 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/2/09 11 38 48, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> Mike,Listers, I'm in trouble. I had a grinding noise and noticed my RR
> inboard bearing was missing a few balls. Lucky for me I have a set of rebuilt
> uprights and new lower shafts, seals O rings, the works, including ball
> joints. I got the right side off and the upper arm built. I bent my press
> trying to push the lower shaft out. It is stuck in the inner sleeve. Can I cut
> between the lower arm and the upright with a sawzall? I just need my lower
> arm back but I don't want to harm a good upright either. The exiting lower
> shaft means nothing to me now. Any suggestions.

I had *exactly* the same problem when I first bought my car, coincidentally
20 years ago this month.   Yes, there is no other choice other than to
CAREFULLY saw in between the A-arm and the upright.   Consider the cups on the
ends of the upright sacrificial.   You don't want to saw into the A-arm and
you don't want to saw into the upright.   So cut/grind away as much of the
cups as you can.   This will leave the remaining part of the cup,
looking/acting like a washer, in between the A-arm and the upright.   Then very
carefully cut straight down through the cup, and through the shaft.   This requires
precision, and a hand hacksaw is a better tool, at least until you get the
thing started.

It will take a long, LONG time and probably eat more than one saw blade.

When I was all done, the upright separated from the A-arm, leaving two
stubs of the lower shaft stuck in the ends of the A-arm.   Jack DeRyke bent his
press trying to get THOSE out, and eventually the A-arm broke. :<(

Lots of lubrication, heat, cold, profanity, percussion--all will be called
for in equal measures.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!