[DeTomaso] Detomaso Clutch master cylinders being sold

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 15:24:58 EST 2009

CNC makes a master cylinder in both steel and aluminum and they are
available with a stainless steel sleeve and can be purchased with the
fittings and a clevis for less then the price being charged by "most" of the
Pantera vendors for the alleged "Stock" Detomaso clutch master cylinder (
which I was told was made in Italy in spite of the fact that the Detomaso
factory is in receivership and from what I have read is not selling
ANYTHING. )They are attempting to sell the Detomasso name and the right to
produce and market under the detomaso name. So the possibility of these
parts being made in china with out license and  to use the name with out the
rights or permission to do so is not hard to believe. They do it
(manufacture goods with out license) everyday  using the names of companies
with allot more money and legal resources to attempt to stop them with out
much luck ( like Rolex, Nokia, and Calloway  to name just a few), so I don't
think they (the Chinese) are too worried about Detomaso  if they are willing
to face the likes of theses other large cap companies that are solvent.
A CNC set up  in either aluminum or steel are both available with a
Stainless steel sleeve and they appear to run at prices starting around
$70.00. Another advantage is that CNC is available with several diferent
bores so you can adapt one to get the maximun throw from your slave cylinder
or modify your pedal effort by working out the math of the bore of both the
master and slave cyliders and the length of the piston travel. Again I am
not a hydraulics expert by any strecth of the imagination but it is
relstively simple to calculate enough to get a rough idea of the
relationship of the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. It is a matter of
ratios. If your master cylinder has a 1/2" bore and your slave has a 1 "
bore your going to get one half the distance of movement fromm the slave
relative to the distance the master cylinder moves  at  I/2 the effort.
It's  just like pulleys or gear ratio's. The fact that CNC offers various
bore diameters and the stock detomaso dosen't is a clear advantage for CNC
to my way of thinking.  I know many people have had problems with slave
cylider throw or effort requiered to disengage their clutch. With the stock
set up you are limited to a system that has no variables to work with to try
to use mechanical advantage afforded by using these variables to customize
your system.Although CNC does not currently advertise or list a Pantera as
an option for sale I have been told that if you ask they still have the
specifications and will sell a clutch master cylinder that will fit a
Pantera. For those of you who go for show car finshes the CNC has a much
finer finish then the Detomaso and the aluminum body master cylinder can
easily be polished and there is a CNC brake master cylinder that matches the
look and finish  and is allot "cleaner looking then the detomaso. If you
have gone with upgraded brakes or are planning to upgrade to a system with 4
pistons and 13" + rotors ( like Wilwood or Brembo) you can also do away with
the brake booster which will give a much cleaner look to the forward trunk
area and will also ad a substantial amount of volume to the front hatch.
Disclaimer. This information is based soley on my opinion and should not be
construed as advice or a recommendation to anyone planing on making any
modifications to their cars with out first doing their own research and
drawing their own conclusions.

Hugh Boyd Casey