[DeTomaso] Detomaso Clutch master cylinders being sold

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 28 23:04:13 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/28/09 19 37 5, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I would seriously consider looking into a CNC clutch
> master cylinder or plan on reusing the parts from your old master cylinder
> along with the body and new piston and o rings from the new master cylin

...or, source your new factory master cylinder from a different
source--either a different vendor who carries the good ones, or a non-Pantera vendor.

I agree with you--the quality of some of the masters out there leaves much
to be desired.   Larry Stock had a whole shelf full of genuine, original
factory masters, which unfortunately rusted away inside from sitting around for
years, rendering them useless.   I've also seen a clutch master cylinder
like the one you describe, purchased from the same vendor you got yours from
no doubt, with the incorrect reservoir; fortunately I had a junk master
cylinder in my stash with a good reservoir and was able to swap them out.   No
problems with the clevis or pushrod though, although I think the smart move is
to ALWAYS reuse the ones that are already in the car--no adjustment
required and no fooling around with circlips under the dash.

Our master cylinder is actually a very common part, used on all Alfa Romeos
of the same period.   So they can be had through Alfa parts sources too.

I bought my replacement back in the early 1990s from Dennis Quella; it was
a genuine Italian factory unit and has been working fine ever since.   I
suspect he will continue to stock the proper ones as opposed to the ones like
you are describing.