[DeTomaso] Pantera - metal shelving shelves info

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 20:00:34 EST 2009

Particle board should be less then  1l2 the price of plywood. By that  I
mean it should be 1 /4 the price or even less. Plywood has the advantage of
the strength of the grain in the wood. It is similar to a cold molded boat
hull where the different layers of the ply wood are going in different
directions so you are getting support in every direction. With particle
board you are not getting support in any direction. There is virtually no
inherent strength to support  any length of an  unsupported   particle board
shelve.  There is a reason that you don't see particle board in an
application that requires structural  integrity or  support. What types of
things are you planning on putting on your shelves? How long a span of
shelving ( and how wide) are you going to have with out a support? Have you
ever seen cheap furniture made from particle board?  It generally starts to
self destruct within the first year. Drawer pulls pull through, corners
break off, if someone puts in excessive weight in a drawer it will punch a
hole right through. In my garage I am always testing the limits of the
design by inadvertently putting very heavy items an shelves.  Car Parts and
tools are extremely heavy. Particle board doesn't hold up when used for
dressers made to hold clothing, which is far lighter and less dense then
most items made of steel , iron or even aluminum. I would look for steel
shelving with supports that was designed for a commercial application.
Anything designed to stand up to the demands of commercial use ( this goes
for carpeting , furniture, kitchen ware) is normally far stronger and will
normally far exceed the demands of  normal house hold use. If you have ever
seen a set of shelves collapse ( especially if the shelves are loaded with
the normal garage stuff (like paint cans , oil, tools ,  generally heavy and
sometimes hazardous stuff) especially if these shelves are in the same
garage as you Pantera. You do not want to have the safety of your Pantera
riding on  shelving made of Particle board. This is of course just my
opinion.

Boyd