[DeTomaso] Pantera A/C compressor bracket

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 28 13:49:57 EST 2009

I couldn't find any real published data either, the indicative answer I came up with from various sources was;

Low RPM; electric pump flow rate is full (or temp controled) rate so better cooling (i.e. where most Pantera's seem to suffer in traffic)

Mid Range; About equal flow between mechanical and electric - implying that mechanical pumps rated gpm is established at mid range rpm

High RPM; The mechanical pump is capable of flowing more, but the limitations and flow rate of the system as a whole becomes a factor. Mechanical pumps can suffer from cavitation.

Then there is the mechanical pump rpm vs. engine rpm depending whether you are running std ratio pulleys, overdrive or underdrive. And of course whether you are dealing with a marginal overall cooling system and radiator.

Some sources do seem to advocate having both a mechanical and electric water pump in the system, the electric acting as a booster to the mechanical.

For my install in the GT40 the objective is to get a flat firewall so the driver seating position is improved. Similar secondary objective in the Pantera, but primary objecvtive there is keeping a half blocked 625HP motor cool and operating at optimum T.

I won't argue that for sustained Autobahn or ORR speeds/rpms that a mechanical pump may still be the best solution. Of course a 3.77 ring & pinion and tall 5th also help to bring rpms to less strenuous levels.

I may have to rig up a mechanical water pump and some buckets........

Julian