[DeTomaso] scissor/mid-rise lifts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 15:03:22 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/26/09 13 43 49, matt at nwpantera.com writes:

> Can anybody please share their experiences with these things?
> Recomendations?

I have a Benwill parallogram lift that I bought used from Larry Stock.   I
debated buying one of these for about five years before I finally made the
plunge, and after I did, I REALLY regretted waiting those five years!!!!!
It has just totally changed my automotive quality of life.

I have low ceilings in my garage and thus can't have space for a proper
two-post lift.   But this is the next best thing.   Unfortunately, Benwill went
out of business (was purchased by Maxon, the utility truck lift-gate
people), and although they kept their two-post lift business going for a short
while, they never continued the low-profile lift production, and now they've
apparently done away with the entire Benwill line.

Given a choice between a scissors and parallogram-style lift, I wouldn't
even consider the scissors style.   I have MUCH better access to the center of
the car.   Scissors lifts are great for shock/suspension/brake work, but
you can't easily drop a transmission out of a front-engined car--I can with
mine.

Similar lifts are almost impossible to find, but the search is worth it, in
my opinion.