[DeTomaso] scissor/mid-rise lifts

Chris Difani cdifani at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 19:58:46 EST 2009

Matt:

For what it's worth, I've got the Harbor Freight scissor lift for my '73L.  My car has 17" wheels and tires on the front, and 18" wheels and tires on the rear.  I didn't need to use wood risers, or other spacers except for the very front since I push the car on to the lift by hand.  My lift goes up 58" (or so), and is the "tall" lift of the two models in this series.  It uses a hydraulic power pack that sits to one side.  It's got a safety latch system such that the lift can not collapse unless the safety latch is held closed manually. In fact it can't be lowered in any way, unless the safety latch is disengaged manually.  It runs off of 120VAC single phase, and connects by two 15 ft hydraulic lines, pressure and return.  The lift has a single hydraulic cylinder located in the center, and is what raises the lift.

The capacity is 6,000 lbs, and is fast.  It's also very solid, and steady.  I've been using mine for 3 plus years, and it's the best "shop tool" I've bought, bar none!  Fortunately I was able to buy mine from Greg Esakoff, when he needed the extra room in his very small garage, and I paid $900 for it.

This is the unit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91315

Currently it's $1399.  I've got a 20% off coupon that I received in the current edition of Home Shop Machinist.  It would be worthwhile to invest 5 bucks into a copy of that magazine, for a coupon that's worth $280 if you bought one of these.  They also come on sale occasionally thru the Harbor Freight web site, or on their catalog flyers.  Depending on how fast you want to move, it might be worth waiting a month or two, and watching their ads.

So that's my thoughts, and my experiences.  Mikey D. has the same lift, I believe... or possibly the one that only rises to 39 inches. And 39 inches of lift is nothing to sneeze at!  There's very few times that I've needed all my available lift.  Something to think about since the 39" model is $999.  And 20% off of that equals a price of $800... which is not too shabby.... Also if you purchase from Harbor Freight, you can  have the lift delivered to a nearby HF store, and avoid shipping costs.  I was able to move mine around on my full sized pickup, using an engine hoist to get it in, and out.  Not easy, and not fun, but very definitely doable.

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
The Electric Pantera