[DeTomaso] ZDDP, in a nutshell

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Nov 24 19:40:53 EST 2009

http://www.zddplus.com/

More info than you probably need to know.

In addition, as many of you know, Mad Dog had the engine in his ORR
Pantera removed recently to have it checked by Russ Fulps.  Current
inspection results indicate no wear (worth mentioning) on the
camshaft.  The bearings all looked good as well as the cylinders.
After several ORR events, driving at speeds in excess of 150 MPH, this
engine looks nearly new on the inside.

Part of this is due to the the whole ZDDP discussion we had a few
years ago on this forum.  Based on that, the Dog decided to add some
protection to his nice new engine.  In addition to using a good motor
oil with high zinc (I forget the brand), he also added ZDDPlus.  One
bottle per oil change.  Easily purchased from Eastwood or directly
from a couple of other dealers (a member on this forum is also a
dealer, though I forget who).

I also want to mention that Russ builds a mean engine and Dennis has
been extremely pleased with Russ' work.  This is a huge factor along
with using a good oil.

Just one bottle per oil change may help extend the life of -your-
engine.  As Chuck Engles recently opined, Australia is now looking to
the US for spare 351C blocks.  That's unheard of.  All of us should be
pulling them from the do-it-yourself salvage yards just as fast as we
can manage it.  (or afford it).  I have three spares right now and
wouldn't mind more.

If you run conventional oil with modern day API classifications, you
-need- this additive.

Read the articles, search the archives, preserve the heritage.

Asa Jay