[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 64, Issue 22-Jon Long

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 01:52:06 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/22/09 11:12:38 AM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> I thought people referred to the '72 model year cars without all the L
> updates (i.e. transition cars) as Pre-L? Otherwise everything pre 8/72 is a
> Pre-L isn't it?

Pretty much, but there were still a few cars that somehow got out of
sequence. Much the same confusion occurs with the pushbutton cars. I just note
this is typical of small-volume Itailan car builders of any decade. Records are
not their main specialty. I don't think DeTomaso used the L designation on
Euro-sold cars of any year. Instead, he used GTS, if I remember correctly.

The records say that s/n 4269 was the 'first L', and s/n 4268 ( the last
pre-L?) was utterly totalled by Art Stevens last year. I didn't notice if it
was an L or not in the crash photos. I was just glad to see Art vertical and
smiling! Some things are more important than others.... J Deryke