[DeTomaso] Garage Door Insulation - Follow Up

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:03:05 EST 2009

Following on from the recent thread on garage door insulation and kits etc.;

Previously I had installed the seal around the exterior circumference of the door and that had certainly helps cut down cold air drafts. So yesterday I finally got around to doing this job which had been on the 'to do' list for the last couple winters. With no work requirement to be traveling to Alberta this winter, I'm hoping to spend a lot of my spare time in the garage to focus on getting the '74 Pantera along in its restoration/GP4 conversion.

I looked at the door insulation kits online and those that Home Depot carry and decided to go a different route. Firstly because the kit pieces are only 48" sections and one of my doors is 16' wide and I didn't want a lot of joints and secondly as the kit foam thickness was only 1", whereas my door panels were 1.5".

Initially I went to purchase the R-Max sheathing in 1.5" thickness, which is dense foam with foil on either side. It carries an R rating of 9.4, but being denser it is a little heavier and on inspection is not very pliable and would be more difficult to bend into place. For anyone living in a very cold climate it would probably be a good choice, but likely requires a little more effort and work to install.

As the climate isn't too harsh here in Reno I decided to go for the R-Tech Insulfoam Polystyrene Sheathing in 1.5" thickness with an R value of 5 and it was also almost half the cost of the R-Max material. The Insulfoam is pliable enough that you can cut slightly oversize pieces and hook them in behind the door panel lips. In fact the 1.5" thickness fitted so well I didn't need to use any tape or other materials to hold the insulation in place. Cutting is easy by scoring with a utility knife and snapping like sheetrock. I had both doors (16' and 8') done in about 2.5 hrs and used 7 sheets of the Insulfoam at a total cost of $95. Be sure to shop around for this stuff as I found my local Lowe's wanted $5 (37%) a sheet more than Home Depot!

Had I been wiling to accept a few butt joints mid panel I could have made do with 6 sheets.

I put a couple photos of the mid way and finished article here...

I should have stuck a thermometer out in the garage for a few days prior to doing this to see what the difference is, but it was certainly warmer out there this morning.

Julian