[DeTomaso] serial number

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 11:02:34 EST 2009

Well Chris,

Your original Cleveland motor number had nothing to do with the VIN,
or with any Ford-applied block number.

The five digit # stamped on the original block was initiated and
applied by De Tomaso.  In addition to the engine bay plate with that
engine #, it also appears stamped into the aluminum plate that
surrounds your front pedal-box VIN.

Now that you have trashed the original block, instead of rebuilding it
and keeping it with the car (A much better option to my way of
thinking since you did retain a Cleveland block) any engine  plate on
your car is pretty much worthless history.

3846 will now forever be a Pantera without its original block; which
in Pantera land is not such a big deal.

I'd probably just let the original references to 2813 remain with the
car.  Making new plates is kind of fraudulent and you'd have to create
a fictional block number to do so.

Larry