[DeTomaso] Anyone Know John Long? (SF Bay Area)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Nov 21 23:44:44 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/21/09 10 24 18, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> He asks if I knew a John Long that lives in the Santa Cruz area,
> off of Loma Prieta Ave near Summit Rd.  Apparently he has raced
> Panteras and is racing a GT 350 now.  It sounded like he used to work
> on Panteras in the bay area as well.

John's house was about 200 yards from the epicenter of the huge 1989
earthquake.   The house to the left, and to the right, were both reduced to
matchsticks.   His house got a good shaking but was mostly undamaged.

He has a big metal building behind his house where he used to work on
Panteras.   He had a windsurfer hanging from the ceiling; it rocked and swayed
and came undone, and the pointed end fell straight down, punched right through
the roof of his very nice Orange Pantera L, and wound up embedded in the
seat cushion!

He was a PCNC member for many, many years, they sort of lost interest and
dropped out.   He was a United Airlines mechanic, who ran a Pantera repair
business (Loma Prieta Pantera) out of his metal building, on the side.