[DeTomaso] serial number

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 21:50:09 EST 2009

Chris,

Your car's VIN is THPNMK03846.

See:  http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/VINDecoder.asp

MK is the month/Year code for June 1972.  (This is the date your car's body was
built at Vignale.)

The door jam will have a numerical month/year indicator like 7/72, this is the date your
car rolled thru the assembly line at De Tomaso in Modena.  Often 0-1-2 months later than
the Vignale date code.

In the engine bay, as you describe, is the MOTOR (block) number.

Your example plate starts with (Mechanical Service No.)  874 02813

See:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/DeTomasoFactory/PlateNumbers/MatchingMotorNumber.asp

for lots of details, and examples of the motor number and identification plates associated
with the motor/block number.

Occasionally, someone selling a car will wrongly identify the car's VIN with the car's
block number, as recently occurred on eBay on a car out of Littleton, Colorado,
(I'd guess the motor number was like 4617 or something close.)

I tried to help the seller (selling the car for a friend) correct the advertised VIN,
but he failed to reply (probably didn't care).  The car was incorrectly added to "some
other" registry (grin), and I'm told it remains there with the wrong number.

So don't be confused with the various identification plates/numbers, and review the
information at the links provided.  All will be well.

Chuck

Hey folks, I have a question.

On the door jamb of my 6/72 Pantera, the serial number ends in "3846" which I assume is
the correct number.

In my engine bay, however, there is a small, silver-colored metal plate (next to that
larger, black and silver plate) that has another number which looks like a serial number,
but ends in 2813.

Which is the correct number, and what is the other number?

Thanks,

Chris

3846 or 2813...