[DeTomaso] Very little Pantera content

RFogle1 at aol.com RFogle1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 17:52:53 EST 2009

It strikes me that the much of what happens in this country is very much
like this list.  A fair number of folks are having what I thought was a
fairly interesting discussion, no name calling, no political affiliations,  just
a down and dirty seat of the pants appraisal on what's going on, rendered
by folks from all over the country, who already share a common
interest/passion/obsession.  A vocal minority complains that this is not  the forum for
that discussion.  We being respectful and well bred,  (ok, maybe not me),
immediately clam up.  It happens over and over  again.  I for one was enjoying
reading the discussion.  Many of the  changes to the economy and government
over the past 30 years or so are hostile  to wealth creation and therefore
Pantera ownership.  Yes, a owning a  Pantera is a luxury item.  Ron
(downtrodden & Panteraless in  Akron)

Ronald M. Fogle

President
Cuyahoga Valley Management, Inc.
PO Box  102
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44222
330-592-5189 phone
216-581-6494 fax

In a message dated 11/20/2009 4:17:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

A couple  of thoughts:

>>>"And why are the "rich" always vilified?  How  many of us would not like
make millions of dollars, or  get million dollar  bonuses? Would you turn
them down if offered?  Seems to be sour grapes to  me."

***There have  been  interesting psychology studies about people's
perception that  they  could in fact end up "rich" enough so that these
sorts of tax
and  bonus  issues would be relevant to them. Result are similar to studies

about inner city  youth who practice basketball at the expense of  their
school
studies in the hope  they will be able to play in the  NBA and make big
money. You take it from  there. It's the "rational  marketplace" at work.

***Regarding those big  bonuses in the  financial industry, they get them,
not necessarily because of  supply  and demand, but because their customers
are afraid to shop around  for  good prices. In an IPO, for example, the
small
fraternity of  investment  bankers tell you that you need a big, name brand
firm to  bring  your company to market because it helps sell the stock
issue
and they  are the only ones who are prepared to deal with any
contingencies
that may arise, almost implying that they bring more   value to your stock
issue than you do.  They then set the fees high  relative to  the amount of
work and risk involved and justify it by  telling you that the  fees are
relatively small compared to the value  of YOUR stock offering  and,
therefore, it
would be fiscally  imprudent for YOU not to pay them  and risk having YOUR
stock  offering go bad. By playing the cost vs risk vs  reward scare
tactic,
they get those high fees that pay for those big   bonuses.

***On another note relative to those big bonuses, most of the  companies
I've ever been exposed to set bonus pools partly on how  well the company
does.
In bad years, the bonus pool is small. That way all  the employees are
dependent  on each other to do good and management  is accountable. I guess
that
doesn't  apply to the financial  industry. You get your bonus no matter
what
so why would  you care if  management was screwing up the company. You've
been paid to keep   quiet and not question them.

>>>"This is NOT government  for the people and by  the people!"

***Well, interestingly   enough, voter turnout for the 2008 election was
the
highest in at least  40  years and the "people" voted for Obama - 53% of
them. Same thing  for  Congressional races.

>>>"I don't think we'll  see any convictions.  Everyone  is claiming
ignorance.   Sort of like the Assistant Kommandant of Auschwitz  who
claimed he
didn't know people were being killed there.  Only in this  case  no one
cares
enough to pursue it."

***Goldman Sachs was hailed as  one of the smart companies that  avoided
most of the mortgage-backed  securities meltdown. The Chairman of  Goldman
Sachs
admitted his  company was dumping mortgage backed securities it  had
purchased for  their own account at the same they were packaging and
selling
mortgages to other unsuspecting firms and people. They knew but that
didn't stop
them from making big fees syndicating new  paper.

Jeff ( can we move on?   )
6559

Detomaso  Forum Managed by POCA

Archive Search Engine Now Available at  http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/