[DeTomaso] C&N clutch master cylinder

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 17:11:48 EST 2009

I afraid I have confused the issue. I have a Detomaso stock clutch master
cylinder , not a CNC. I have been unable to locate the fitting that connects
the copper line with the flare to the Detomaso master cylinder. Since I was
having so much trouble with the stock clutch master cylinder I thought I
might do better with a CNC.  The CNC clutch master uses a 1/8th pipe thread
. Several vendors used to sell CNC clutch master cylinders that were already
modified to fit Panteras. I felt that since I was having so much trouble
locating and obtaining the fitting for the stock Detomaso Clutch master
cylinder I might be better off getting a CNC clutch master thinking that the
1/8th" pipe thread would be easier to find fittings for.  Procision
proformance has had some fittings made to attach the stock copper clutch
line and they are sending me one 2nd day air.  I have sent one of the other
new stock Detomaso clutch master cylinders to Chris Difani and he is going
to machine the fitting and adapt it to accept a new stainless hard line with
a bulkhead fitting and all the other required fittings and pieces to convert
my car from the copper line to stainless and do away with all the off the
wall fittings that fit the stock clutch master cylinder. The Steel nut that
holds the original copper line is a 12x1 mm with an inverted flare. Several
people said that I would be able to obtain this part at any foreign auto
parts store. For the record I have tried every auto parts store within 10
miles of my home. I have contacted  PI motor sports, Wilkinson's Pantera,
Pantera East, Hall Pantera and none of them had the part in stock nor could
they or would they tell me the specs to try to locate the part else where.
Wilkinson said they had some coming in and Percision Proformance had ordered
some replacements and have finally come up with one. They said this
afternoon that they had sent one to me. Wilkinson said he has some coming
in. He has been telling me this for two weeks. He has not been able to give
me a price.  I mentioned CNC because I know they use the 1/8 in pipe thread
which would be easier to obtain fittings for. So thanks to everyone for your
offers of help and sorry for the confusion. As a point of interest. I was
told be one of the vendors that the stock Detomaso clutch master cylinder
was made in Italy at the Detomaso factory. I have it from a good source that
the detomaso has not manufactured any parts or had any parts to sell for at
least two years due to their bankruptcy. It is my understanding that the so
called "Detomaso "clutch  master cylinder are being  made in China. I have
purchased two in the past 4 weeks and the tolerances are off. The length of
the push rod and clevis is longer then the push rod and clevis that came off
my car. The clevis opening is too narrow to fit over the linkage on my
clutch pedal lever. The quality of the casting is much rougher then  the
original that came off my car. None of this is proof but to me it represents
strong evidence of a change in the quality of manufacturing.  So I hope this
clarifies the facts of my problem  and hopefully it looks like my problem
may be resolved. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Boyd