[DeTomaso] Very little Pantera content

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:55:17 EST 2009

Peter,  see below

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Peter Kovacs
<peter-kovacs at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Even prior to that our society was on a bad path.

I agree up to a point.

> Disposable diapers,

I never had kids so I can't comment fairly, I will say that when i was 10
that my mother had just given birth to my little sister who did use cloth
diapers and I have been around lots of babies
since that time and can attest that I disposable diapers make life easier
and create jobs.  Living in the Southeast, Savannah specifically, we are the
home of the Charles S. Herty Foundation, Charles S. Herty was the man who
fathered the "slash pine industry and gave birth to the fast growing trees
that make paper, TP, diapers, etc.  Thereby saving old growth forests, etc.
That is why we have millions of acres of trees that are harvested every 10
years, they are worthless for anything else other than paper making.

> paper plates,

Gotta say for picnics, etc. they make lots of sense and I don't want to
carry around dirty dishes, for use at home, I think people too lazy to wash
dishes should do what i did when i was single, eat it out of the pan that it
was cooked in.

> cars that were made to fall apart once the last payment was made,

Planned obsolescence, practiced more today than ever before and rightly so
because the technology progresses much faster, Cars are safer, I would not
want to be driving a modern era car and be t-boned by a 63 Impala, we would
all die.

> attorneys advertising to compensate you for diseases you didn't know you
> had,

The flip side of that is that the Drug makers, Hospitals and Doctors killed
people w/o much happening to them in the past, the growth of personal injury
lawyers and product liability lawyers is a direct result of these others
being irresponsible in their behavior.  Thalidomide baby anyone?
Second, juries make the awards and set punitive damages, one case at a time,
juries, US, each case is different and if the damaged or dead party was your
loved one, your view changes.

Thirdly, these attorneys take all the risk, it is their money, time, talent
and education put on the line for 35% of the reward, 99% do not accept cases
where victory isn't a sure thing, it cost millions to bring a big case to
trail.

> and the consumers being told the creditors are evil for the harassing calls
> when they are asking to get back the money per the terms the consumer
> borrowed them,

You got that one right, don't borrow if you can't repay.

> kids suing their parents for disciplining them or not buying them a PS3,

Some people should just not be allowed to have kids and they are the ones
who usually have 4 or more.

> adults suing McDonalds for spilling the hot coffee they ordered,

I know the facts of this case, the coffee was 210 degrees when served, 50
degrees hotter than normal.

She was burned so badly that her labia received 2nd degree burns, clumsiness
is no excuse for disfigurement.

> and my favorite, criminals suing the home/business owners for getting hurt
> while they were committing criminal activity.

I agree, I see no valid reason why we can't set booby traps and those are
illegal as well.

> As a society, we have been choosing short term gain over long term benefit
> for about 40-50 years....and each administration since then has kept it
> going.

I agree, we seem to learn little from our mistakes and continue to make the
same ones over and over.

Michael Shortt