[DeTomaso] Hawks Racing

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 05:25:00 EST 2009

Companies I have spoken to who source things from China comment that they
find more defective parts in Chinese-sourced material than in Western
sourced material. They include extra incoming inspection to avoid passing
defects on to the final customer. Even with this extra cost, they come out
far ahead based on labor costs.

They attribute this to various factors. The cost of labor is so low that it
is difficult to financially justify installing much automation. The
processes are VERY manual. In the West, we would install a robot or some
sort of automated line that repeats the same job over and over, without
tiring, and without making mistakes. People are human, turnover is high in
China, and an army of 5000 manual laborers will make more mistakes than a
robot. I've seen the inside of 3 or 4 factories in China, and there is VERY
little in terms of tooling, go/no-go gauges, automation, etc.

The Chinese also tend to, um, borrow the intellectual property of the parts
they are making and then try to market them without the QC controls of the
parent company. Without the QC restrictions, the price may come down but the
quality may be affected. Hence, buying a computer made by Apple in China is
one thing, but buying an "Apple" that a Chinese company stole the design and
is building on their own without Apple's supervision and can sell for less,
may not be the bargain it appears to be.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"