[DeTomaso] Hawks Racing

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 04:53:59 EST 2009

I'd like to comment on the 'cheap Chinese' thing I keep seeing and hearing...

I'm not defending the Chinese, but things are what you spec them as.

The Chinese build most every computer you touch your fingers to these days. I'm using an Apple MacBook Pro which has served me for over three years now with nary a glitch. Many of the components and tools used in the oil industry are Chinese built/manufactured.

Why? Labor costs.

If you spec the material and the build and manage the QA/QC, the stuff that comes out of China is first rate.

If you want it 'cheap', they'll build it cheap. It's really up to the probably American company that provides the specs (or lack thereof) for whatever it is being made.

Yes, I've seen some REALLY cheap stuff come out of China. Pipe wrenches that look like a dyed in the wool Rigid pipe wrench, but the first time you took a bite on a piece of pipe, the teeth all fell off...

I'm old enough to remember when Japanese stuff was considered cheap and crappy!

Sigh...

My for what it's worth today,
Kirby