[DeTomaso] Adjustable spring rates.

hemipanter at hemipanter.se hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Fri Nov 13 16:59:45 EST 2009

Daniel,
it might appear much but the leverage is not only a "one way" effect as it
first is the leverage in distance and then it is also a movement of the
same rate. Therefore we have, as an example, 13" A-arm that has the
coilover at 10".
This makes motionratio (Mr)=10/13=0,77. Which is the leverage, but to
include the movement, this is to be squared 0,77^2=0,59.

If we shorten the leverage (mounting point) by 2" we got Mr=
8/13=0,61^2=0,37. So, a 200 N/mm spring makes 200*0,37=74N/mm and
200*0,59=118N/mm.

This calculation does not include the angle of the coilover, which must be
done for the right outcome.

Regards
Goran