[DeTomaso] Windsor Cleveland water pump difference?

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:45:17 EST 2009

By the look of it that's a mechanical pump, not electric? I'd be surprised if it bolts up to a Cleveland block.

Most electric pumps in use on mid engine cars are remote pumps. Personally I use the Meziere 55 gpm model, but I'm sure the Stewart products are equally as good. I am currently 3/4 the way through converting the GT40 and to keep it simple with t-stat, by-pass and heater hoses I simply took a std water pump and sweated the impeller off, removed the shaft, cut down the nose and welded a plate over the end to create a plenum that functions as per oem except the water velocity is coming from the remote mounted pump. No fitment issues or hose rerouting and it will allow me to have a completely flat bulkhead now.

Davies, Craig also sell a pump controller that is a variable speed controller + fan switch effectively acting like a t-stat to regulate at your desired set temperature. This combats the only real negative of a electric pump, i.e. fixed volume so it's not running 55gpm at idle and WOT.

Julian