[DeTomaso] GT/GR?

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 18:55:38 EST 2009

I have this described on a page in draft form somewhere, although it may not be available
yet...

A GT4 car was initially going to be built using many/most/all? of the lightweight parts
of the Group 4 (GR4) cars, and was intended to be a pseudo street car...  (sort of - just
not as race-prepped)  In total there were 14 cars combined.

But the demand for the 'real' Group 4 (GR4) cars exceeded the supply, so ALL of the
chassis being built towards the GT4 variant were then directed into the Group 4 program.

The Registry has specified some cars as GR4 while others were GT4.  Later some cars were
designated (by DeTomaso) as a GT4 car (some 9000 series cars).  I believe Roland has one.
I believe the Registry lists a number of cars as GT4 cars of which I am not really sure of
the status.

A book, written some time ago (The Man the Machines) listed (I believe) the chassis
numbers for both groups, but apparently swapped the two groups calling the GT4 cars the
Group 4 cars and vice versa.

More?

Chuck Melton