[DeTomaso] Rear Bushings and Shafts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 14:35:15 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/9/09 11:23:24 PM, tborcich writes:

> I'm replacing my lower rear A-arm bushings and am wondering if I need to
> do anything to the lower upright shaft and bushings/bearings that connect
> the upright and A-arm? They move smoothly...but I'm sure they are original.
> For some wierd reason the upper bushings have been replaced, but the lowers
> were ignored?

Inside the lower housing is a hardened steel spacer that keeps the lower
ends of the upright from crushing inward when the nuts on the long stud are
tightened, and it also runs in bronze bushings at each end. Without grease,
the bushings wear giving slight noise and odd handling, but more important-
the inside of the upright generates condensation. Hardened steel corrodes
faster than mild steel so without periodic disassembly and greasing, as rust
progresses, the spacer rusts solidly to the long stud. This prevents easy
disassembly even though the stud may still rotate. If rust continues, the spacer
may sieze in the bushings and either break an a-arm end or the long stud,
dropping the car to its knees! Disassemble the lower shaft if possible and
liberally grease everything inside. Various schemes have been tried over the
years to grease the stud and especially the spacer without disassembly. Some
are more effective than others.
As far as the rear wheel bearings, they don't often cause trouble. What
does happen is, many of the OEM stub axles were incorrectly made at the factory
(no press-fit occurred)   so the hardened bearings run loosely on the mild
steel axles. This wears the axles, causing them to need replacement; most
guys also replace the perfectly-good wheel bearings. Stub-axle wear of only
0.0005" (yes, the decimal is correct!) will cause a rear tire to wobble
visually, giving a weird feeling in corners and wearing your expensive rear tires
more rapidly. A bad rear wobble may have wear on its hollow axle larger than
1/8"!
The real fix is to repair or replace the stub axle(s) with ones that have a
correct press-fit dimension of 0.0004"-0.0008". Wheel bearings are cheap at
any bearing supply house; replacement stub axles are not but the current
factory replacements are much stronger than OEM, are properly sized for std
ball bearings and can be replaced at home if you own a hydraulic press.
good luck- J Deryke