[DeTomaso] Rear Bushings and Shafts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 02:06:02 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/9/09 22 58 10, tborcich at msn.com writes:

> I'm replacing my lower rear A-arm bushings and am wondering if I need to
> do anything to the lower upright shaft and bushings/bearings that connect
> the upright and A-arm? They move smoothly...but I'm sure they are original.
> For some wierd reason the upper bushings have been replaced, but the lowers
> were ignored?
>
>>>Have you yet taken everything apart?   You might be surprised and find
that your lower shafts won't come out?   That's a big pain to deal with.

With everything assembled, you should wiggle the wheel side to side at the
3 and 9 o'clock position.   If there's any play, it's likely to be caused by
a worn axle, but look closely, because it could also be caused by worn
lower hub carrier/shaft bearings.

> >While my rear suspension is off, should any attention be paid to the
> upright and should I replace the axle bearings...only 27,000 miles but I assume
> they are original bearings.

is while everything is assembled.   Once you've taken it apart, it's
difficult to tell.   Generally though, I'd say that if it ain't broke, there's no
need to fix it.