[DeTomaso] Forged Axles vrs Billit Axles

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 10 01:18:40 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/9/09 2:11:06 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:
> Forged are stronger and also much more expensive. The question is.... are
> billet strong enough? Clearly stock are not. Has anyone had billet axles
> snap?

I agree. As to useable strength, Billet Hall stub axles of 4130-steel have
survived multi-hour pro road races without failure (that I ever heard of).
And as yet I've not heard anyhing negative about Wilkinson's current forged
replacement axles of EN-30 steel, which are cheaper. For street cars with
street tires, OEM mild steel stub axles are fine if the bearings are a press
fit, NOT stock-fit. For limited competition or to replace broken OEM stuff,
the current replacements will be much better than we've yet had for the price.

I note that Jim Saxton's GR-4 conversion- always on gumball tires, broke
its first stock axle after about 15 years of club-level open track events, and
it was another 10 before the other stocker let go. Nevertheless, there are
drivers out there that as the saying goes, "could break an anvil with a
leather hammer".... In a fast bumpy 6-hr enduro such as Sebring, on the same
Pantera, stockers did not survive one event, and Hall billets did survive the
entire next year and were still on the car when it was sold.   Probably are
still racking up race miles somewhere. I seriously doubt if any Pantera owner
needs more durability that that.
My 2¢- J DeRyke (still running one OEM and one weld-repaired stocker)