[DeTomaso] window

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Nov 9 12:03:07 EST 2009

Yesterday I finally replaced the scratched driver's side window--thanks to all those who helped me know how to do it.

I decided to wait on replacing the window motor until the stock one actually stops working.  It's still slow, but it works.

When I got into the door, I found a strange piece of metal laying in the bottom of the door, along with the bolt and support plate from one of the holes in the window that supports it.  Once the new glass was in place, I reassembled everything, but still wasn't sure where the odd-shaped piece went.  The support piece that was still in place didn't have such a piece, so I just assembled both sides the same.  After I did that, though, the window wouldn't go up all the way.  I looked closely at why, and it turned out the angle was just a tiny bit off.  It occurred to me that maybe that wierd piece was used as a spacer between the support plate (the one that had come apart) and the glass.  I installed it that way and, presto, the window went up all the way!  I'm not sure if that strange piece of metal was installed by someone who had gotten into the door previously, or whether the guys at the DeTomaso factory realized the window didn't work right and just grabbed a piece of something to make it work!

Wilkenson sold me the window for $110.  They have a few without the DeTomaso logo; that's why they're selling them for such a good price.

Sincerely,

Chris