[DeTomaso] Fuel gauge sender

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Nov 8 22:05:48 EST 2009

A Pantera that I am restoring had an non-working fuel gauge.

I checked the resistance in ohms on a Pantera fuel sender today that has been removed from the tank and got "1" - no continuity

By dragging the other tip of the ohm meter against the wiring inside the sender, there were small areas of continuity, yet mostly it appears dead.  I can visually see no damage or fine wire breaks.  The dragging pickup of the moving lever arm makes good contact with the wiring.  I tried cleaning both the pickup and wiring although their was no obvious corrosion or subsequent improvement.

Has any one had any success repairing these variable resistors?  Is their another alternative to replacing the unit?

Thanks
JT