[DeTomaso] follow up on new engine problems

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:31:20 EST 2009

As you might recall, I came to you last week looking for advice on a potential overheating problem on my new expensive engine build.  The dash temp gauge went up to 270, while the temp gauge in my fuel injection set up (in the upper water tube off the thermostat), remained at 180+, causing me to wonder if the thermostat stuck, and if I warped the aluminum heads.

For follow up, I removed the thermostat (motorad failsafe) and replaced it with flow kooler unit.  Before I installed, I put both in a pot of hot water and they both opened at exactly 180 as advertised.  I then realized what went wrong -- there must have been a pocket of air right at the temp sender in the block (it is off to a corner), but the water system was otherwise working fine.  When I changed the thermostat, I filled water in the block first, so no air pockets.  The leak on the end of the head is just  mild head gasket leak, which occasionally occurs in the cleveland where the end water passage is not clamped all that well by the head bolts.  I plan on just keeping an eye on it for now, and if the trickling slows down, then do nothing about it.

The steam coming out of the valve cover breather was because the PVC system had a leak in a hose, and when I fixed the leaky hose, the steam in the breather went away.

So, I think the only real problem was it was a new engine and had a few minor things that need to be sorted out.  Now all I have left to do is tune the fuel injection, get the brake pedal to get firm even though I have bled it 1000 times, set the timing properly, finish the doors and windows, paint the fender flares, paint the hood and decklid, paint and install the bumpers, redo the passenger seat, install the correct longer front wheel studs, refinish the wheels, get modern tires, finesse my home 4 wheel alignment,  AND then I can drive it.

thanks for your time and attention.   I am sure I will bring you more stories of pain and frustration soon.  stay tuned    justin