[DeTomaso] Need a windshield

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 8 00:36:46 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/7/09 17 04 34, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I was trying to carefully remove my windshield trim and managed to crack
> the windshield. $%#@#$%%!!!!!!!
> Who's got the best deal and do they fit properly?

I prefer the factory glass, which has been made by several different German
manufacturers--Sigla, Sicursive, St Germain (I believe that's right--for
GT5-S glass?).   Currently the factory glass is made by Sicursivtro (sp?),
which is the Finnish subsidiary of Sicursive.   The Germany company transferred
their molds to their low-labor-rate Finnish subsidiary for the low-volume
stuff.

Both Wilkinson and Pantera East carry The Good Stuff; cost is around $800
if I recall correctly.   (Factory glass used to be more than $1500 until this
Sicursivtro deal came along).

Since you've already screwed the pooch, you might as well remove your
existing glass now and cast a critical eye on your sheetmetal in the windshield
area; it's very common to find rust damage there, and you might as well get
it fixed while you're waiting for your new glass to arrive.

Glass shops often won't warranty their work if you bring them a car and a
piece of glass; however if THEY order the glass, then it's covered.   So talk
to your glass shop before you proceed.

Good luck!