[DeTomaso] Fouled Spark Plugs

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 19:20:41 EST 2009

Don't feel to badly. When I installed the Pantera electronics ATO fuse box I
screwed up the wires to my gas gauge. My gauge said it was full and I
believed it until I ran out of gas!. I now have a clear glass fuel filter in
addition to my fram racing fuel filter. One glance and I can see if the
filter has gas in it. Nothing like seeing the gas in the filter to answer
the question of is there gas or not? I also keep a spark indicator in the
center console. I got it from Harbor Freight. It plugs in line between the
spark plug and the spark plug wire or between the distributor and the coil
and it has a small element that lights up when you get  an ignition pulse.
It doesn't say anything about the quality of spark but at least you know the
ignition circuit is good., so it's good for a quick diagnostic when your
stuck somewhere ( and it was only $2.99). With a MSD ignition I am always
worried about a failure. I have heard so many anecdotal stories about MSD 6
AL's crapping out. I keep a spare MSD 6AL and a spare coil in my in car tool
kit. That and a road side assistance policy and a credit card. Don't leave
home without  them.
Boyd