[DeTomaso] DICK RUZZIN / Mangusta Idle

dickruzzindesign dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 19:57:09 EST 2009

Even after all of the following corrections I still have idle problems, even after adjusting the idle setting up from 300 rpm to 800 rpm it will drop back to 300 after driving the car.

This is what I have found and corrected so far:
1) One cracked spark-plug insulator
2) One loose spark-plug
3) Improper Timing, it was slightly off
4) Fuel pump filter plugged, all three filters are now clean
5) Secondary shaft spring on Holley not wound tight enough, idle slow to drop to set speed
6) Left side idle jet cork seal loose

The car now runs smoothly in 5th at 35 mph.  This is my bogey

I have installed a new coil and  resistor and removed my electronic ignition and re-installed the points. No change to any of these actions.

After a lot of reading about vacuum leaks I have discovered that by sitting at idle if I pump the brake pedal about 10 times in a row the idle goes up from 800 to 1100. I just did this twice.

Is there some kind of check valve in the power brake system?  My next step is to disconnect the brake vacuum hose, plug the outlet and see what happens.
--
All the best, Dick Ruzzin.