[DeTomaso] math formula help

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 6 09:50:50 EST 2009

I did Fortan in College too (with Watfiv on 3270's - never did punch cards).
I learned C in College, but it was just becoming popular.  Not many people
knew C back then (mid 80's).  Pascal was "the" language.  It was a great
teaching language, but it stinks for getting real work done.

I worked on VAX's at my first programming job (8650, 6320, 785, work
stations, and later Alphas).  We mostly used Pascal and Vax BASIC.  One
system was done in Fortran, but I didn't support it.  When we did a system
using an Oracle database, we switched to C (not C++).  C was much easier
than any of the other languages we had been using, so we gradually replaced
everything with C.  I still have a TK50 with all my old code on it.

These days, everyone has to program in Java.  I'm not a fan of Java.  It has
a lot going for it, but it has too many critical flaws.