[DeTomaso] Wheel weight

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 6 09:15:44 EST 2009

It's an understatement to say you are being overly pessimistic and scaremongering here Jack, just because there are documented cases of Hall Ultra Wheels cracking it doesn't call for sweeping across the board statements. When were Hall Ultra wheels made? In the 80's probably, we are now 2 decades on, no one's doing stress calcs on the back of envelopes anymore.

Apart from my Truck every car I own has 3 piece wheels on it and I know of numerous more street cars running 3 piece wheels (some from the factory). I have 2 sets of Kodiaks, 2 sets of OZ racing wheels and a set of Compomotive, I'm hooking up around 600 HP on slicks to the OZ and Kodiak and none have ever shown the slightest loss of air, let alone weakness. The Kodiaks are very light, I'll have to weigh them.

And to say "I love light weight but I would never mount a 3-piece spun racing wheel on any car I was going to drive fast." is a contradiction in terms, they are racing wheels they're meant to go fast. Would I trust a modern 3 piece wheel over a 30 yr old Magnesium Campi, damn right I would.

And to further say "Those things are meant to be used for a season or less, then THROWN OUT." Well finally I understand the myustery of wheels suppliers and why it takes so long to get a new set of wheels, the manufacturers can't keep up with demand because their wheels are all being thrown away after a few months.....

Julian