[DeTomaso] Wheel weight

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 01:35:10 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/5/09 10:05:35 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I talked to a guy at the SEMA show from a company in Ventura that make
> forged racing wheels.  He said his wheels in 17/18  are about 17 pounds.

Forged wheels of what kind? If the assembly is a bolt-together 3-piece
wheel, be very very careful. Those things are meant to be used for a season or
less, then THROWN OUT. People used to sell them for street Panteras, and
after multiple failures, stopped doing so. The latest I'd heard about was last
year with a Hall Ultra 2 that cracked circumferentially. THe rim-half could
not be replaced as Hall discontinued them so it was welded. 3 months later it
cracked again- this time into 3 pieces.
If on the other hand its a forged one-piece such as Porsche curently uses,
they are safe on the street. But they will very likely weigh far more than
17 lbs.... I love light weight but I would never mount a 3-piece spun racing
wheel on any car I was going to drive fast. Good luck- J Deryke