[DeTomaso] DICK RUZZIN / Mangusta Fuel Pump

dickruzzindesign dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 21:01:22 EST 2009

My car has been running strangely this summer and I finally found the major reason.
I still have the original Bendix electric fuel pump. After finding all kinds of minor problems, cracked insulators, changing the fuel filter, checking the filter on the carburetor, etc. nothing much changed.  I took my electronic ignition out and put the points back in.  No change. It would go from idling too fast to idling too slow in the blink of an eye.  Idle jets and idle adjustments resulted in little response.
Idle would drop to 2 or 3 hundred rpm no matter what I did during a hard stop or turn. After all this the next day it would run great.

Last week the strangeness started after engaging the secondaries.  I have a Holley 650 and after talking to a friend I discovered that there is a filter in the Bendix fuel pump.  I had never opened it in forty years. I went right home and opened it up.  It has about a tablespoon of gunk in it.
The filter element is an open delrin tube that fuel from the tank is drawn through. I blew it out and cleaned it up and reinstalled it.
I would like to get a new element but have had no luck finding anything on the internet.

Does anyone else have the same kind of pump? I see that it was common on Alfa Romeo and other Italian cars from the late 60s, early 70s.  I would like to put a new filter element in but am worried that the rubber diaphragm in the pump may not last long anyway due to the changes in the content of our fuel.
--
All the best, Dick Ruzzin.