[DeTomaso] Electric oil pump?

hemipanter at hemipanter.se hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Thu Nov 5 03:42:40 EST 2009

> I'm surprised at the low power needed to drive the pump. When your drill
> struggles, is the torque you feel something you think would shear the
> distributor gear pin?
>
> Tomas
We must look at the speed of the oil and water pump. Even if the water
pump will double the number of horsepower so it rotates with double speed,
which means the resistance of torque. I estimate that the oil pump is
located about 35 fp but that figure may be doubled instantaneously, as in
turning the cold oil. Then the water pump more often rev needlessly than
the oil pump, when the water reached a certain speed, it's no point
letting it go quicker so the pump does not need to relax more than 4000
rpm. It is thus more points to cut the top lap at the water pump.

The distributor gear may load from both the camshaft and oil pump and with
a temporary peak of the oil pump about 70 fp ^ so I do not think it
strange if the narrow pins in some distributors goes by.

Continuous operation of a drysump pump is not a problem. It is well oiled.
Would also run it directly, axle to axle, from the electric motor, there
is also no radial load drive.
Goran